What To Do If Your Power Goes Out
When nasty weather hits it can be easy to say, “It won’t affect me, our power never goes out!” But, being prepared in the event that you do lose power will save you a lot of nervousness and more.
There are many things to consider when putting together an “out of power” kit. Simple things like blankets can be pulled off of beds, so consider other things like non-perishable foods, ways to light the house and core means to communicate.
Here is a list of items to consider for your powers out safety kit:
- Non-perishable food such as canned goods, crackers, noodles or vacuum packed tuna
- Water – make sure you have enough. Water goes fast when you use it for everything from brushing your teeth to other hygiene as well as drinking and cooking.
- LED flashlights. LED because they last about 5x as long on batteries.
- Emergency Radio or solar cell phone charger.
- Candles – Emergency candles can last 7 days burning 24 hours a day! Make sure you get the right ones. Many are also wind resistant.
There are many things to consider for your different types of emergency kits, but fortunately you’re at home! Some things to consider when the power is out at home:
- Unplug some of your more sensitive electronics. Electronics can become damaged when the power comes back on with the power surge.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible. If the power is going to be out for a while, it can help deter spoilage. If possible, remove more temperature sensitive items like meat and dairy to a smaller cooler and fill with ice on the top.
- If you suspect your food has spoiled, don’t risk it.
Generators are a great tool for when the power goes out, but they’re typically limited unless you have a whole house generator. If you’re going to use a generator, be sure to determine what appliances you want to run. Refrigerators require a large generator, so determine if it is even possible to run it. Using a generator to run lighting and small portable coolers is reasonable.
When the power goes out, be prepared.
Founded in 2005, Insurance Brokers of Arizona is a leader in quality protection for individuals, families and businesses throughout the Southwest. Insurance Brokers of Arizona is currently licensed in Arizona and California. Providing world class customer service with our extremely experienced and knowledgeable team, paired with our ability to understand our customer’s coverage needs, drives the success of our agency.
By offering protection for your Auto, Home, Business and Health Insurance, we make sure that you’re covered today, as well as in the future, so that you can focus on what is important to you and your family. At Insurance Brokers of Arizona our #1 job is to assist you in identifying your needs and problems, while putting together a customized plan that’s simple and easy to understand.