Having a swimming pool on your property is a luxury and takes a lot of maintenance, but oh is it worth it on a hot summer day! If you have kids, the swimming pool seems to be their favorite hangout place with their friends. While owing a swimming pool can be a fun experience if you’re willing to maintain it, it also carries a unique insurance liability risk.
Swimming pools carry many risks of injury. To limit your exposure setting strict rules around the pool for safety can greatly reduce the chances of injury occurring. Follow these safety tips when and around a pool:
- Supervision – children should never be left unattended around a swimming pool. If your children and friends want to use the pool require an adult be present at all times. If your children’s friends are wanting to use the pool and you can’t watch, ask another parent to supervise.
- Require walking – Water and concrete is slippery. Reduce the chances of a slip and fall injury by making sure everyone around the pool walks and doesn’t run.
- No Glass Around Pool Rule – Glass can fall into the pool or around the deck and make for a dangerous situation.
- Regularly Inspect – inspect the items used in and around a pool like the diving board, slide or flotation equipment.
- Fence & Lock the Pool – Most insurance companies will require a fence of at least four feet be present around a pool.
- Teach your children how to swim and pool safety – prevention is key. Teaching your kids how to swim as well as to avoid things in pools and spas like drains can reduce the risk.
- Install an alarm – You can install an alarm that detects when someone enters the pool.
- Protect your pets – Animals are attracted to water, especially on a hot day. Keep your pool area secured from pets when you’re not using it to ensure they don’t fall in.
Pools and spas are a lot of fun! By following proper safety precautions you can have a lot of great memories and your kids can have a lot of fun! Enjoy your pools responsibly. If you have questions on pool requirements for insurance purposes, we have answers. Our licensed agents can help ensure your property is insurable and that you are properly covered in the event you have a claim.
If you’re looking for insurance in Gilbert, give us a call. Founded in 2005, Insurance Brokers of Arizona is a leader in quality protection for individuals, families and businesses throughout the Southwest. Insurance Brokers of Arizona is currently licensed in Arizona and California. Providing world class customer service with our extremely experienced and knowledgeable team, paired with our ability to understand our customer’s coverage needs, drives the success of our agency.
By offering protection for your Auto, Home, Business and Health Insurance, we make sure that you’re covered today, as well as in the future, so that you can focus on what is important to you and your family. At Insurance Brokers of Arizona our #1 job is to assist you in identifying your needs and problems, while putting together a customized plan that’s simple and easy to understand.